For an optimal runnability during the finishing or converting process of paper/board, certain specifications of the products are required to achieve an optimal result. Usually, these specifications are based on standard measurement methods (e.g. Cobb test, Bendtsen / Gurley porosimeter). Although these standard specifications are often met, converting problems often still occur. This is due to the fact that standard measuring devices frequently do not characterize the significant converting relevant paper parameters.
In order to predict converting problems reliably, one should know what to measure. Problems in the converting process can be due to non-optimal surface porosity (e.g. caused by too much or too less starch application in the size press or fiber quality/refining) or/and non-optimal surface sizing (e.g. caused by too much or too less hydrophobic agent in the size press).
The EST12 Surface & Sizing Tester and appropriate testing liquids help to characterize both, surface porosity and surface sizing/hydrophoby. The contact of the testing liquid with the sample surface is measured in the relevant time for the converting process, i.e. measurement is possible in the very first milliseconds (surface porosity) or seconds (surface sizing / hydrophoby).
By means of the analysis of relevant parameters, quality issues can be predicted and, thereby, immense savings of material, man power, time, and money can be realized. Complaints are avoided and the converting process stabilized, leading to a quick “return on investment”.
Application area: Quality testing for internal- and surface-sized, uncoated respectively coated paper and board (grammages up to 600 g/m2)
Measuring results: Surface pore structure (t95 resp. t99) Surface sizing (MAX)
- Portable low cost unit
- Easy handling
- High-performance, very user-friendly PC software with automatic computation of application-specific parameters
- Especially suitable for quality control directly in production plants and for use by application engineers of chemical suppliers for employment at customer, as well as for troubleshooting
- Sample dimension: 75×50 mm
- Measuring frequencies: 1 MHz, 2 MHz selectable Device dimensions: 250x140x250 mm (H x W x D) Weight: approx. 4 kg / 8.8 lbs
- Supply voltage: 100-240 VAC, 50/60 Hz